Tuesday 14 February 2012

Damn those little cannibals!!!

Unfortunately we have lost 3 of the largest cobalt tadpoles to cannibalism. I have not been able to feed them enough to stop it and they have started picking on each other. Today I will be separating the tads into individual containers, something which I was hoping to avoid. The extra water changes needed while raising them this way can be a pain but it will stop unnecessary losses. Fingers crossed the remaining tads get through and we start to see some positive results in terms of egg laying, which has been a bit slower due to the colder weather. There is a good batch of eggs developing nicely under a coconut hut so fingers crossed we get more tads in about 10 days.
Here's a few shots of the new tadpole tubs. I'm hoping there is enough water in these. I'm going to start planning a tadpole rearing system that is filtered it may help out a lot as we start getting more and more.



Tinctorius Tadpoles can take up to 120 days to develop and a few of the older tadpoles have their back legs now. The bits on the surface is food, I had just fed them when I took these pictures. Each tadpole is now going to be raised individually in these tubs in a 'tadpole tea', which is a mixture of red bush tea and de-chlorinated tap water with a stem from an elodea species pond plant. not only does this provide cover but I have found it to be a good source of extra food.
The cannibalism is unfortunate but you live and learn, hopefully I'll get this sorted and find a rearing method that will produce significant results.

No comments:

Post a Comment