Tuesday 13 September 2011

Starting a new tank and another experiment

I got started on a thumbnail tank yesterday. I really like the idea of having thumbnails again and seeing as how I had a spare 12x12x18 Exo Terra tank knocking about I thought I'd clean it down re-seal it and get started. Here it with the false bottom fitted, the false bottom consisting of four 2 inch diameter legs supporting an egg crate base:
 and I've also cut and fit the membrane I use to keep soil up and water down:

Now on to the experimental bit, in the past I have toyed with various fake rock effect and other fake backgrounds including expanding foam and polystyrene carving. I have however never had a go at making fake rocks. The rocks pictured are carved from polystyrene and so far coated with a concrete mix. When this has dried I will paint it and then seal it using an epoxy resin. Hopefully I will be able to achieve a realistic looking rock that weighs half as much, if not less, than the real thing. This is the first time I have tried this method and am hoping to get a nice result.

I have started gathering a few small plants to go into the new tank and hopefully will have plenty of cuttings available from my other more established tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment