Tuesday 24 January 2012

A Good Book and some gorgeous frogs

For Christmas Kelly had got together with my mum and step father to get me a very special present. They got me a book, Poison Frogs, Biology, species And Captive Husbandry, its an edition Chimaira release by Lötters, Jungfer, Henkel and Schmidt. This book holds an incredible amount of information on Poison frogs and more or less covers everything there is to know about everything there is to know about them. It contains a vast array of species accounts and also well over 1000 high resolution glorious pictures. Its a heavy read and I've found myself checking the dictionary and the internet a few times just to get what they are talking about in parts. But I'm learning new things and its started to show through in the things I'm doing for the frogs already. It has a hefty price tag of around £80 but if your into Poison frogs its worth every penny.


As I said yesterday I would post some pictures of the Citronella in their new home i got the camera out and had a sneaky peak I only got 1 shot of each frog as they were both sitting under coconut huts, here you go:




They have some gorgeous colour now and they are growing really fast, they seem a bit freaked out by the larger vivarium but it will only take them a few more days to get over it.
I was also finally able to get a couple of pictures of the Ole Marie tinctorius, these frogs are huge, reasonably bold and always looking for food, although at times they can be a bit camera shy I hope you like them as much as me:






I should also have the first back legs appearing on the cobalt tadpoles soon as they are now starting to form some of their body shape, Tinctorius  tadpoles take FOREVER to morph and depending on water temperature take anywhere between 100-120 days.


In the shot below you can see a slight dent on the left side of the tadpole, this is how they have started to shape.

Ill post more info on egg and tadpole care over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment